Marcellin College, Melbourne celebrated its 60th Anniversary on Saturday, 14 August 2010. The College took as its theme for the evening: 'Where the past Meets the Present'. Current Principal, Mr Mark Murphy, spoke about the first days of the College back in 1950. He quoted an address by the first College Principal, Br Nilus Kenny and welcomed to the stage of the Ivanhoe Centre, those in the 300 strong audience who were first day students. Five ascended the stage: Leon Magree, Peter Merrigan, Fr Pat Harvey, Br Eugene Dwyer and Michael Dixon. Michael Dixon spoke on behalf of these students, recalling how the College began in three unfinished classrooms which used to house racehorses, one of which, it is reported, won a Melbourne Cup. Three Brothers were on the Opening Day staff, Brs Placidus Redden, Austin Stephens and Nilus Kenny. Of the 128 boys at the College in its first year, 28 were in Grade 5. They were all urged to go on to better themselves in accordance with the College motto 'Virtute ad Altissima' of 'Striving for the Highest'. Here we have a return to the founding charism, symbolised by the current Principal, surrounded by some of the first carriers of the College's spirit, reinterpreting Marcellin Champagnat's charism for today's world.